How to create a Balanced Scorecard? How to find the best performance indicators? What is the best approach to strategy cascading? Join our free strategic planning course to get started with a disciplined approach to strategy.
Free Strategic Planning Course
- Free online course
- 6 video lessons
- Practical challenges
What will I learn?
During the training we will follow the key steps of strategic planning:
- Lesson 1 – Overview of Strategic Process
- Lesson 2 – Strategy Attributes – Mission, Vision, Values, Priorities
- Lesson 3 – Strategy Formulation – Business Frameworks Overview
- Lesson 4 – Strategy Description – Balanced Scorecard, Strategy Maps, KPIs
- Lesson 5 – Cascading and Execution
- Lesson 6 – Practical Exercise
- Extra 1. Decomposition of the Goals in Strategic Planning
- Extra 2. Implementing Strategic Planning in Complex Environment
|Free Program||Full Premium||Team Premium|
|Participants with trainer’s feedback||–||1||5|
|Price||Free.||USD 499.00||USD 1996.00|
|Sign-up||Free Access||Buy Full Premium||Buy Team Premium|
Free Program vs. Premium Program
Lesson 1 – Overview of Strategic Process
In this lesson we’ll discuss the 5 typical steps of a strategic planning process:
- 1. Strategy Attributes
- 2. Formulating Strategy
- 3. Strategy Description
- 4. Strategy Cascading
- 5. Strategy Execution
Lesson 2 – Strategy Attributes – Mission, Vision, Values, Priorities
Let’s start strategic planning with high-level ideas, such as:
- Strategic themes (or priorities)
Lesson 3 – Strategy Formulation – Business Frameworks Overview
There are various business frameworks that can help us to look at strategy from different perspectives. Let’s review:
- Gap Analysis
- Risk Management
- Constraints Analysis
Lesson 4 – Strategy Description – Balanced Scorecard, Strategy Maps, KPIs
In this lesson, we’ll discuss how to map strategic hypothesis on the strategy map and prepare strategy for execution.
- Four perspectives
- Strategic vs. operational goals
- Cause-and-effect logic
- Key Performance Indicators
Learn how to split up ambiguous goals into small and independent sub-goals quantified by the value for stakeholders.
Lesson 5 – Cascading and Execution
Learn how to translate the top-level strategy to the business units and individuals.
- What is strategy cascading?
- Different ways to organize cascading
- Using the OKR framework for tracking team and individual goals
Lesson 6 – Practical Exercise – Create a Prototype of a Strategy Scorecard
Sign-up with a free plan of BSC Designer Online to use it in this practical lessons.
Extra 1. Decomposition of the Goals in Strategic Planning
- Preparing vague goal for a decomposition
- Stakeholders of the decomposition
- Decomposition examples
- Decomposition limits
- Initiatives, value metrics, risks
Extra 2. Implementing Strategic Planning in Complex Environment
- The role of business frameworks
- Strategy workspace
- Creating functional scorecards
- Aligning scorecards with existing strategy
How much does participation cost?
It is free. The only requirement is to sign-up with a free plan of BSC Designer Online because we will use it in some practical lessons.
There is no need to buy anything or enter credit card details. The training is free – no strings attached.
What is the “premium” program?
The premium program is based on the same materials as the free one.
- Additionally, the premium program includes a possibility to discuss your challenges with the trainer and get feedback on your progress.
- On the final step, the participants of the premium program will work on the prototype of their strategy scorecard. Once the prototype is ready, the trainer will review it and issue a certificate of training completion.
- For those who plan to scale the strategic planning training in their organization, the premium program permits using training materials during the internal training sessions.
- Finally, the participants of the premium program can use a 1 month complimentary subscription for BSC Designer software, as well as get certified as a specialist trained in BSC Designer software.
What kind of feedback is included in the premium program?
You will be able to contact your trainer to discuss the challenges specific for your organization, for example:
- After “Lesson 3 – Strategy Formulation,” it is a good idea is to discuss the strategic planning frameworks that your organization uses.
- After “Lesson 4 – Strategy Description,” feel free to challenge your trainer with some difficult cases of business goals that are hard to quantify with KPIs.
- Finally, in Lesson 6, you will create a prototype of your strategy scorecard, feel free to submit it to your trainer for review to get some feedback and improvement ideas.
How much does the premium program cost?
Check out the pricing details above. Also, the premium program is included with “Executive” and “Enterprise” plans of BSC Designer software.
Can I start with a free program and upgrade to premium?
Absolutely! You will find a link to buy an upgrade in the private area.
Can I have a completion certificate?
In the premium program, the participants create a prototype of the strategy scorecard on the final step. We use this prototype to evaluate your achievements. The correctly designed prototype confirms that the participant has obtained the necessary skills. We will be happy to confirm this with a completion certificate.
We don’t issue certificates for the free participation program, as we have no way of validating your achievements.
How long will I have access to the training materials?
Once signed up, you will have immediate access to all training materials. Access time is unlimited.
When does the training start?
The materials are pre-recorded so you can join training at any time.
As for the premium program, you can join training at any time. Each participant follows his/her pace. It usually takes a trainer 2-3 workdays to review the questions submitted and share the feedback.
Can we sell training materials to others?
The training materials are available for the trainee, but the distribution/sublicense rights are not granted.
What’s next? How to sign up?
First, sign-up with a free account at BSC Designer Online.
Then visit the training access page and use the same email that you used to sign up with BSC Designer Online.